This week I taught a math lesson to my first graders. I was given a page in the Everyday Math book to teach. I could have just followed the lesson guide in the book, but I chose to change it up and come up with my own idea. The kids had recently had a lesson on function machines and this lesson was a refresher and also touch on the "What's my rule?" concept using function machines. To refresh the students previous knowledge I put a spin on the function machine by covering a desk with a blanket, labeling it a function machine, and allowing children to act as numbers being entered into the function machine with the final product coming out of the machine. They loved the lesson. The teacher was concerned about classroom management, but I think the kids behaved perfectly with my clear explanations and reminders of my expectations. I felt very comfortable teaching my lesson and I think the only reason for my nerves is knowing that I am being evaluated by the teacher with an ADEPT form. The teacher did offer some constructive criticism, reminding me to always have every student in my sight at all times. A couple times when I bent down to help children I believe my back was to several students. Teaching this lesson I also have a better grasp on the mathematical abilities of the students in this class. I think it was relatively easy for some kids, but specifically challenging for one student in particular.
On this day I also got a chance to interview the mother of my case study child. She is a professor at the College and her son previously attended ECDC. I am eager to learn more about this child through observation (this day was the first day I was assigned to him).
Saturday, February 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds like you had a great time! The kids too!
ReplyDeleteI am glad your lesson went well and that management wasn't an issue. I am excited you were able to meet with a parent. I think this will give you enormous insight on the child's learning and development.
ReplyDelete