Saturday, March 20, 2010

Field #7 (Lesson #4 Science)

For my science lesson, we planted carrot seeds in the garden! I began by reading the book, "Tops and Bottoms" and then reviewed the basic needs of plants using a powerpoint. I brought in carrots, baby and full size with the stems. They loved seeing the whole carrot with the green stem still attached. I wanted to show them what our carrot seeds would become. I also wanted to differentiate between the two carrots because I have know children to think that the baby carrots in a bag is how carrots grow. Finally, we went outside to remove the old plants, turn the soil, put down fresh, fertilized soil, made holes, placed seeds in hole, and then watered the garden. Some of the kids couldn't stand getting dirty, but some enjoyed it a little too much!  I didn't realize that there were only going to be three small shovels and I wish that each child could have had one. I had the student rotate every couple minutes so everyone got turn. After we finished outside, we washed up and reviewed that basic needs that our carrot seed would need, wrote about our favorite part of planing our seeds (and shared with the class), and drew a picture of what our carrots would look like while I gave each student a snack of baby carrots. The kids loved eating the carrots and wanted more, with the exception of one student who refused the carrots because I didn't have ranch dip! The lesson lasted almost two hour in all, but the kids were engaged the entire time. Mrs. Martin gave me such high praise for my lesson and kept telling me how much they loved it. It was such a rewarding feeling!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Do they have a garden at the school? Who takes care of it? Outside activities are my favorite! You not only incorporated science but physical activity.. great action based learning! Sounds like a health lesson too! I wish I could have observed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have a garden and specific classes are assigned a "box" that they are responsible for.

    ReplyDelete