Sunday, December 6, 2009
"I can't read"
While at work last week, I was allowing a couple of my first graders test out one of my activities I had made for my Math and Science learning center. I gave the two girls the printed directions and the folder containing the materials. Immediately student A replies, speaking of the directions, "I can't read" and passing them to student B. Next student A says, "Well I can't read very good." I was shocked. Student A is a struggling reader and writer, but I had no clue that she would ever say those words! I immediately told that what she said is absolutely not true and that she can read. She gave me a hesitant look. I then place the directions in front of her and told her that she can read this and told her that we would read it together. I was really caught off guard by her words and cannot stand that a child feels this way. I work one-on-one with this student on a daily basis and with this experience, I am even more motivated to help this student build her reading skills.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love that you told her that she could! So much at this age really seems to depend on the adults around us. I'm sure that those words will echo in her mind. Whenever she gets frustrated, she'll think, "but, Miss Langston believes I can read." It really is important to play on their strengths and acknowlege what they CAN do. And, she will probablly have that extra bit of motivation with the one on one help she recieves from you.
ReplyDelete