Sunday, October 11, 2009

Toddler Observation #2

The other 4 hours of my toddler observation was conducted at The Montessori Community School of Charleston. I observed a primary classroom, which is composed of 3, 4, and 5 year olds. I am quite familiar with the Montessori method, but mostly by working with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd graders. It was really great to be able to see where the children in my classroom are coming from. What fascinated my the most was how the children naturally were drawn to doing their choice of work. With all of the young children, I was under the impression that they would need persistent guidance and supervision, but they all went from doing one work to doing another with minimal delay. They were not distracted by the other students presence, even when some were noisily socializing. They reminded and corrected their classmates in what they needed to be doing. It is so cool to see how the classroom seems to run itself with children so young!

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to add another thing that was really cool. Throughout the morning there was a snack table with crackers, peanut butter, and sliced apples, each numbered. At their will, the children would get a plate and fix their snack plate according to the numbers and their preference. They took just one serving of each (one to one correspondence). They would take their plate to a specific table each their snack and clean up after themselves and continue on to another work in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete